Power help to low-income Queenslanders with a medical condition
The Queensland Government provides financial assistance to low-income Queenslanders with a medical condition which requires the use of electricity for cooling or heating. This assistance is provided for a period of 2 years, at which time eligibility will require review.
The concession is provided to assist individuals with the increased electricity costs incurred by frequent operation of an air-conditioning unit in order to regulate body temperature.
The concession is not limited to one person per household, but all applicants must meet all of the eligibility criteria outlined below.
Eligibility for the concession
The applicant must:
- be a Queensland resident, and
- have a qualifying medical condition requiring cooling or heating to prevent the symptoms of their condition worsening, and
- be residing at their principal place of residence which is fitted with an air conditioning unit.
The applicant and/or legal guardian of a minor with a qualifying medical condition must also:
- hold a current Pensioner Concession Card (issued by Centrelink or Veterans’ Affairs), or a current Health Care Card (issued by Centrelink), and
- be financially responsible for the payment of the relevant component of the electricity bill.
Qualifying medical conditions include multiple sclerosis, autonomic system dysfunction, loss of skin integrity or sweating capacity, severe compromise of functioning such as mobility at extremes of environmental temperature, or hypersensitivity to extremes of environmental temperature leading to increased pain or other discomfort or an increased risk of complications.
For more information about qualifying medical conditions, refer to the Medical Certification form attached.
How to apply
Costs associated with the medical assessment must be met by the applicant (or parent or legal guardian).
A parent or legal guardian can complete an application on behalf of children aged under 18 years. A legal guardian or person holding a power of attorney may also complete the application on behalf of an adult applicant.
The person with the qualifying medical condition must be listed on the form as the applicant.
Payment of the concession
Quarterly payments will be made by electronic funds transfer to the applicant’s nominated bank account. Payments can not be made to a credit card