Wegert Park Named in Bentley Park in honour of former Edmonton residents Bill and Hilda Wegert.
Cairns Regional Council received a request from a Cairns resident to name an unnamed park in Bentley Park “Wegert Park”, in honour of former residents Bill and Hilda Wegert.
This was passed unanimously at the Infrastructure Services Meeting on Wednesday 18 October 2012.
In the submission, the following information regarding Bill and Hilda Wegert was provided:
- Bill was a greenkeeper at the Edmonton Memorial Bowls Club from 1948 to 1954. He was an active bowler and served on the board in that time. He volunteered on a regular basis fundraising for the club.
- Bill volunteered at Southern Suburbs Rugby League Club from 1955 to 1968. Bill would assist with fundraising and setting up for rugby league games.
- Bill was a returned serviceman and fought for his country in Papua New Guinea from 1943 to 1946. He was honoured with service medals.
- Hilda ran the canteen at Southern Suburbs Rugby League Club from 1955 to 1960 supplying home cooked meals to players and spectators. She continued to assist in the canteen from 1960 to 1968.
- Hilda assisted in many fundraising events while her children were growing up. She was well known for her cooking and sewing abilities, and regularly cooked and sewed for charity cake stalls and school fetes. She held the title of ‘Champion Cake Maker’ at the annual Edmonton Memorial Flower Show.
- Hilda was a member of the CWA (Country Women’s Association) and assisted with various fundraising and community events.
- Bill and Hilda did not own a motor vehicle. They raised their seven children and performed their volunteer duties either by taking public transport, riding bicycles or walking where they needed to go.
- Bill and Hilda were well respected citizens and willing volunteers of the community.
- Bill passed away in 2002 and Hilda passed away in 2007.