Council presents $200k in community grants to local groups!
Almost $200,000 in grants will today be presented to 44 organisations to assist with events and activities that enrich the Cairns region.
Cairns Regional Council has funded grants under the Events, Sport and Recreation, Sustainability and Community Development grant streams.
Council was pleased to be able to support the organisers of events and activities provided by locals for locals.
Most of the successful applicants are seeking to educate, entertain and inspire other local people.
Cr Manning said. “Others are showcasing our region to the outside world and providing new incentive for people to visit and enjoy our local culture.
“All of these events and initiatives will benefit the local community in some way and I congratulate those people who have brought them to fruition.”‘
The Community Development Grant stream will assist seven projects to the value of $28,000, including suicide prevention workshops, Seniors Week programs and community theatre upgrades.
Under the Sport and Recreation Grant stream, 18 grants totalling almost $42,921 will be presented.
Four applicants were successful in gaining a Climate Change and Sustainability Grant, under which $19,000 has been allocated.
Events grants are separated into three categories: Local Community Festivals and Events; Developmental Events; and Major Events.
“The Community category helps to ensure the smaller events that might have a more limited target market are able to occur, giving variety to our local events calendar,” Cr Manning said.
“Developmental grants are awarded to events that have potential to attract large numbers of people or become self-sufficient, but need a helping hand to get there; and the Major Event category is in support of the events that bring people into our region.”
A total of $110,000 has been allocated across the three Events categories.
Community Development Grant
- Dr Edward Koch Foundation – Cairns Region Schools Suicide Prevention Short Workshop ($5000)
- Marlin Coast Neighbourhood Centre – Sustainability of the Marlin Coast Neighbourhood Centre Community Garden ($2260)
- St John’s Community Care Ltd – Sharing Culture and Community “Seniors Week 2013” ($5000)
- Stillbirth & Neonatal Death Support Queensland – Cairns Walk to Remember ($1730)
- Positive Ageing Cairns Inc – Annual Seniors Celebration of Living Day ($4100)
- Association for Relatives & Friends of Mentally Ill – Health and Safety for tenants and community. ($5000)
- Cairns Little Theatre Inc – Supply and installation of air-conditioning units to new rehearsal space/costume store ($5000)
Sport and Recreation Grant
- Cairns Dragon Boat Club Inc – International coaching team from Shanghai for Dragon Boat training Cairns ($5000)
- Cairns Netball Association Inc – Cairns Netball Umpiring and Coaching
- Development Program ($2000)
- Mulgrave Branch Little Athletics Inc – Level 1 and 2 Coaching Course ($2000)
- Mulgrave Combined Cricket Association – Replace surface on practice wicket ($2500)
- Redlynch Razorback Junior Rugby League Football – Equipment Purchase ($1000)
- James Cook University Student Association – Friendship Football Tournament ($3500)
- Cairns Junior Baseball Association – Promoting Junior Baseball Activities ($2334)
- Mossman & District Rifle Club Inc – Purchase and install a shipping container ($3000)
- Coral Coast Judo Club Inc – Certifying Judo coaches under the National Coach Accreditation Scheme ($753)
- Southside Swallows Gymnastics Club – Safety and Fun at the Gym ($2500)
- Hekili Outrigger Canoe Club Inc – Purchase of an OC2 Outrigger Canoe ($5000)
- Douglas Shire Branch Little Athletics Centre Inc – Development of a senior athletics squad ($5000)
- Holloway – Cairns Croquet Club Inc – Improvement of Croquet Lawns ($1635)
- Saints Soccer Club Cairns Inc – Club Fundraising Initiative ( $699)
- Northern Beaches Judo Club Inc – Purchase Sport Specific Judo Mats ($2500)
- Pyramid Power Junior AFL Club Inc – Slushy Machine ( $1000)
- Cairns City Kennel Club – Electronic Sports Timer and PC Laptop ($2500)
Climate Change and Sustainability Grant
- Ruby Ruth Wearable Art and Workshops – The Fantastic Found Plastic
- Megan Bayliss of the Junk Wave – Recycled Craft Workshops ($2000)
- Holloways Beach Environmental Education Centre – Sustainable Schools Partnering for Success ($5000)
- Cairns Area Fish Stocking Group Inc – Fish Stocking of the Barron, Mulgrave and Russell River Systems and Trinity Inlet ($10,000)
Local Community Festival and Events Grant
- End Credits Film Club Inc – End Credits Unseen Cinema ($5000)
- Cairns and Region Multicultural Association Inc – Tropical Wave Festival 2013 ($5000)
- Pacific Communities Council FNQ Inc – 2013 Pacific Communities Festival ($5000)
- Far North Queensland Hospital Foundation – Yellow Pages Cardiac Challenge ($5000)
- Rock Impact Inc – Pets In the Park 2013 ($5000)
- Tourism Trinity Beach – Flickerfest National ($5000)
Developmental Events Grant
- Japanese Community Association Inc – Japan Expo, Metcha Culture, Cairns Cosplay Club ($5000)
- Punjabi Sports & Cultural Assoc Cairns – Interstate Kabbdi Tournament and Cultural Program ($5000)
- Youth Arts Queensland – Heyday Festival 2013 ($10,000)
- Cairns Mountain Bike Club – Gravitate ($10,000)
- Tourism Palm Cove Inc – Reef Feast: The Best of Palm Cove ($5000)
- Cairns Cricket Association Inc – State U12 Cricket Championships ($5000)
Major Events Grant
- Cairns Ukulele Club Inc – Cairns Ukulele Festival 2013 ($10,000)
- Bicycle Queensland – Cycle Queensland 2013 Mission Beach to Port Douglas ($10,000)
- FNQ Rural Divison of General Practice – RUTHLESS Youth for Peace Festival 2013 ($10,000)
- World Wide Sports Agency Pty Ltd – Crocodile Trophy 2013 ($10,000)