Boost Academy Program Hip Hop Dance about to commence!
Boost Academy is ‘Communities for Children’ initiative of the Australian Government and is funded by Mission Australia. We offer Performing Arts tuition to a limited number of children in the southern area of Cairns between the ages of 8 and 12 years of age.
The after school Tuesday program commences on Tuesday 11th February and runs for 6 weeks, culminating in a performance for parents in week 6. The ‘Hip Hop Dance Class’ is run between 4:00pm and 5:30pm at Hambledon House, Bruce Highway, Edmonton.
WHO CAN JOIN?
Children between the ages of 8yrs – 12yrs from the southside of Cairns who would normally not have access to such programs due to various reasons.
The program is free to all eligible children accepted into the program. It would be greatly appreciated if you could promote this free activity to students in your schools, activities and networks.
Here is a bit of info on Boost Academy:
BENEFITS OF THE PROGRAM
Aims/outcomes desired and achieved by Boost Academy include:
• Social interaction with other children of different backgrounds,
• Improved social skills to enable wise choices as they grow older
• Working together with a different ‘friend group’ in their class
• Confidence increased
• New skills learnt – music, art, dance
• Discussions with children re making good choices, respecting each other and healthy relationships
• Positive mentoring from facilitators
• Relationships formed with facilitators and parents/families at the end of the afternoon, at performances and drop off/pick up at homes when applicable.
• Able to recommend various community services to parents.
• Leadership qualities of children encouraged, with children who are showing improvement leadership qualities being asked to return in a ‘helper’ role next term
WHO FUNDS US
Boost Academy is ‘Communities for Children’ initiative of the Australian Government and is funded by Mission Australia.
OVERVIEW OF THE PROGRAMS
• Hip hop – will be a dance routine learnt over the 5 week period, culminating in a performance for parents, carers and friends
• Creative Arts – 4 weeks of creating a mural, learning new skills and expressing ourselves is then highlighted by a presentation afternoon, where the artwork is recognised and presented to the receiving party, such as council where the art will be hung. Parents & friends all attend.
• FUSION – Special mentoring program for ‘high risk’ boys
• School Holiday Day Out – Boost kids are invited for a free day out at Sugarworld
I have also attached permission slips for interested child’s parent/guardian which I can also send to them directly. Also flyers that can be printed and handed out for schools etc.