CMC Statement from Shadow Environment Minister Jackie Trad
Today I have referred the circumstances surrounding the extension of the Sibelco sand mining lease on North Stradbroke Island to the Crime and Misconduct Commission (CMC).
Queenslanders should be able to have full confidence in the decision-making processes of their Government, yet the evidence in this case raises many questions surrounding political donations and legislative outcomes.
The facts are clear.
• As the then LNP leader and candidate for Ashgrove, Campbell Newman publicly declared his support for the extension of sand-mining on North Stradbroke Island.
• Obtaining a public commitment from the then LNP Opposition to extend sand mining on Stradbroke Island was a key objective of Sibelco’s campaign in Ashgrove.
• Sibelco spent more than $90,000 in Ashgrove advocating a vote for Campbell Newman.
• The head of Sibelco told the Agriculture, Resources and Environment Committee that he had met with the Premier before the election.
• Following the election, Sibelco met with the Newman Government on no less than eight separate occasions, most without departmental officers present.
• Information obtained under Right to Information shows that the Premier approved the expediting of the legislation to extend sand mining on North Stradbroke Island.
• The map of mining lease areas in the legislation was provided by Sibelco and stamped as Sibelco’s map. Sibelco is also the only company to have their environmental authority included in the legislation as requested in their briefing note to the Government.
• Every single one of Sibelco’s requests made in their briefing note to the Government was met in the legislation.
• The economic modelling (other than population figures) used to justify the legislation was provided by Sibelco
In light of the Deputy Premier’s recent comments regarding ‘preferential treatment’ for LNP donors, I feel it important that the CMC fully investigates these issues.
Media contact: 3838 6716
For a copy of Ms Trad’s letter to the CMC, please call the Opposition office on the number above.
For comment from the Quandamooka Yoolooburrabee Aboriginal Corporation please contact Darren Burns on 0428 175 153.